brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cake Soundcheck at Art & Soul


Cake Soundcheck at Art & Soul
Originally uploaded by dumbeast
Mary went to Pilates this morning, even though the dreaded Oakland Art & Soul festival was going on.  She figured out how to circumvent the madness & get to her gym, and off she went.

15 minutes after she left, she called home. "I think Cake is playing right now. You might want to get down here. Listen!"  She held her phone up to some low-fi noise.

I couldn't hear what the hell she was talking about, but I was pretty sure that Cake (co-headlining with MC Hammer) wouldn't be playing at 10:45 on Saturday morning.  Hah!  That's a laugh. I hope it's something really embarrassing.  A kid playing the Jonas Brothers on a boombox.  Polysonic Spree. An ironic Austrian Cake cover band named Pfannkuchen.  Whatevs.   I got on my bike and headed down there.  This should be good.

It was Cake, doing a sound check, and they were good.  A few other early birds and I got a free private miniconcert, just off stage left. Thanks for the heads-up, Babe. Sorry I thought of you as "Old Tin-Ear."

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive