brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

August 3




August 3
Originally uploaded by dumbeast
Big hatch over the river this morning. I love the collective motion of the swarming bugs in the air. I wonder how much biomass that represented. I wonder what sense(s) the bugs use to coordinate the swarming motion. I wonder why there weren't a bunch of bug-eating birds feasting on them. That seemed like an oversight in the Mother Nature's Big Interconnected Web of Life department.

Underneath this action, Mary was feeding a pair of ducks at the shore. She didn't play favorites. Each duck got as much hamburger bun as the other. I shouted encouragement.
  • "Look out, you guys! She's thinking a l'Orange!"
  • "She wants to show you her gingerbread house!"
  • "She's gonna take you home, sew you together and try to make you into a cat!"
All ducks look a little bit (exactly) like Pearl.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive