brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Saturday, October 01, 2011

Fish Mystery

On Fridays, I walk down 24th street to get to my gig at Ward 93 at San Francisco General. There’s a restaurant called La Parrilla at 24th & Folsom, and they always have their specials, covered in saran wrap, displayed in their window.
Thing is, it always looks exactly the same.  I’ve never been able to tell whether it’s real food that they're showing, or cunningly wrought plastic models of food, and they change the saran wrap every once in a while so it doesn’t start to look all dingy.  I’ve been especially concerned about the fish, because, even if they fix a new one every morning, who would want to eat fish that’s been sitting out in a window all day?

So I took a picture last Friday…
IMG_5501

…and another yesterday, and guess what! 
IMG_5546
Two different items entirely. It’s totally fish.  Here’s what it looks like on their website
LP Specials/Especiales / 156. TILAPIA (Mojarra)
Served with Rice, Beans, Tortillas and Salsa
$13.95
 Looks good.  Mystery solved.  But I think I’ll have the torta de pollo instead, gracias.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive