brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Crochet/Silicone Experiment

Crochet nylon mason's twine with silicone.


Crochet/silicone Experiment, originally uploaded by dumbeast.

I was trying to make a watertight semiflexible composite material. I crocheted a bowl shape, squirted RTV silicone sealant into the inside of it and smushed it around with a plastic spatula.

Then I inflated a balloon into the bowl, forcing the silicone to ooze thru the holes in the crochet.






Then I learned that curing silicone destroys balloons.

I also learned that it's not easy to work with sealant without it turning into a big gooey mess. Well, I guess I re-learned that.

The enterprise FAILed spectacularly! The interior of the bowl is all cucky, and while the outside surface has some interesting areas, it's also got a bunch of ugly smudged parts. Back to the drawing board on this one.

More pix here

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive