brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Static Solution


Static Solution, originally uploaded by dumbeast.

I've got a small problem at work. I'm in a cozy fluorescent-lit cubicle. I sit in this plastic chair, typing at a plastic keyboard, which sits on a plastic desktop.

I have no idea whether I'm getting a positive charge or a negative charge, but believe you me, some electrons are changing hands over here, as whenever I stand up and touch something, I get a nasty shock.

The weather has been anything but dry, so I don't see any relief coming from that direction. I'm wondering if there might be something easy that I could set up to keep myself grounded while I'm at my desk, to leak off those Coulombs as they arrive and not have to do the capacitance discharge mambo whenever I get up to go to the photocopier, or to get myself a bowl of gruel, or whatever it is they keep in that trough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop wearing pantyhose. You need LESS plastic in your life.

They sell plastic pads in office supply places that go under your chair that are supposed to discharge static. I have no idea if they work or not.

The static can cause a lot of problems, like wiping out keyboards. If you want to discharge painlessly, touch a wall (if it's not plastic).

If it's really bad get a grounded wrist strap, or piss on the carpet (the humidity and conductive salts help).

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive