brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Farmer Boy


I was out for breakfast this morning. As I was paying my bill, the guy at the register saw an ad for the new Iron Man movie on the back of the magazine I had been reading.
"Iron Man. I really liked the first one. Just read an article about Iron Man II," he told me.

"Yeah, I liked the first one, too. Hoping not to get disappointed by the sequel."

"Well, I can relate. My family invented the first nuclear weapon."

"...could you repeat that please?"

"I said I can relate. To Iron Man. Because my family invented the first nuclear weapon?"

"Really? Are you the Tellers? The Oppenheimers? The Fermis?"

"No, I should have said the first *hydrogen* bomb. And it wasn't just Teller. He worked with somebody."

"Oh, ah. And so you're..."

"I did once sit on Edward Teller's lap, though." And then he gives me this forefinger and thumb 'L for Loser' hand gesture.

"Wow. Lucky you, I guess."

"Yeah, they threw Oppenheimer off the project, you know." ['L for Loser'] "Then he went crazy."

"Alright, you take it easy, now. Thanks."

['L for Loser'] "Right. Cheers. Thanks for coming in."

The thing I like about not being at work is that, out in the wild, other peoples' personality disorders are mostly not my problem.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yeah right?!you get to meet a lot of weird ones out there.one thing it does, it makes you feel more normal.funny story!

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive