brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Ceramics

Dagmar suggested we take an art class at Laney. The only one that meets M-W 6-8 is Ceramics. Instructor Larry Henderson seems to be an old "thrown stoneware teapot" kind of chappie. I could live with that.


I’ve gotten all excited about handling clay. I’ll need to know what the studio has to offer. Highfire? Gas kiln? Clay bodies? Is there a slab roller? Can I slip-cast?
I biked down to campus to check it out. Closed today, for Veterans Day? Here’s what I saw from outside the kiln deck:

20141111_125413
back of the big kiln

20141111_125307
looks like terracotta

20141111_125336
Stoneware &  Weber grill. (Hi Dag!) There also seems to be a raku kiln, and a few skutt-type electric kilns for bisquing & lowfire.


…and here’s what I’d like to make:
Notes

Acorn squash upsie-downsie
Acorn Squash molds. Slipcast if possible, or make coiled blank, soften and hand-press into molds.

Slab Pot from Top
Slab vase from top. Texture larger sides with Fred-shredded leather from chair. Smaller sides with those wooden sticks from Mexico?

Coil pot
Vase for Mary. We’ll get some flowers to figure out what shape & size

Bowl  for Ramona 2
Bowl  for Ramona 1
Bowl  for Ramona 3
Bowl for Ramona. Use slumped red graph bowl as form.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive