brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wisconsin Vision Quest

Yesterday, I rented a red VW bug in Chicago and drove up to Wisconsin. I called Ann Pereles on my way up, but she wasn't to phone. LM.

The weather was intense--cool, intermittent drizzles & untethered winds.

I drove up to Schwai's in Fredonia first. The people at Einstein Bros in Mequon helped me with a toasted sesame with a salmon shmear & directions; keep north on 43 & take the Saulkville fork. A bartender in Saulkville sold me a bag of chips & refined my navigation.

Schwais was as remembered. Nice lady behind the counter was very patient with me. A fresh bratwurst, two summer sausages (regular & Hungarian), a package of curds, a package of meat-sticks very spicy, and a sixpack of frozen brats.

I drove from there out to Springhill. Slight side trip onto North Avenue, looking for a florist shop, but couldn't find one. Skirted a recently downed tree on N Fond du Lac, back onto the freeway and off to the Hawley road exit.

No florists on Hawley, either. I just don't know what's happening to this world.

At Springhill. Mort's stone was fine. I laid the solo bratwurst on it.

The plinth on Babs' stone had separated from the base and was displaced to the upper right corner of the headstone.

I checked it out. It had obviously come loose at some point and somebody had tried to repair is with what looked like florist clay. I scraped that off with a paintscraper, cleaned the headstone & got down with the silicone.

The headstone has developed a languorous backward tilt from 14 winters and thaws. That plinth wasn't going to stay where I put it without some help. I found a largish twig that had come down in the wind, and propped it against the stone to keep it in place until the silicone sets.

Driving home, I stopped at a Culvers just above the state line for late lunch. Returned the car a little after four. Good to be back.  More photos from the trip here.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive