brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

BART Tunnel ad


The underground BART tunnel between Montgomery and Embarcadero stations has this odd, flickering display on the walls as the train whooshes past. I first noticed this a couple months ago. I've always assumed that I was being advertised at, but whatever's being shown is too dim to actually derive much conscious contrent from it.

It looks like it's a bunch of high-def flat panel displays set up adjacent to each other, and they're all running the same video simultaneously. Last evening, I video'd the display, and took it home to process what I captured. It looks like an ad for a Finding Nemo product of some kind. That's a lot of flat panel displays right there. The video runs for 12 seconds as the train goes by.

Ballparking, if the panels are 36" wide, and the train goes at 35 mph, that'd be

35m/hr x 5280 ft/m=184,800 ft/hr

184,800ft/hr / 3600 sec/hr = 51.33 ft/sec

51.33 ft/sec x 12 sec = 616 feet of screens / 3 ft/screen = 205 screens.

And there's two tunnels full of them. Hmmm. I wonder how long they'll be there.

No comments:

My Blog List

Followers

Blog Archive