brucine (broo'-seen), 1) n. Pharm., Chem. a bitter, poisonous alkaloid, C23H26N2O4, obtained from the nux vomica tree; 2) n. Bruce Bortin's 'low-impact' weblog
Saturday, May 31, 2014
Sunday, May 25, 2014
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Things that I count:
- Count 6 while filling up kettle for coffee.
- Count 9 while filling work glass from water cooler. I do this with my back turned. Nope, don't need to look, I've never overflowed. This is my version of macho posturing.
- Shake off hands 12 times before drying them.
- Count 13 while re-setting modem.
- Count how many times I have to push the button before the garage door opens (usually 2).
- Same for the number of times I have to press "6" to get an outside phone line at the clinic.
- How many tries does it take before clothes dryer will accept my coins? Used to be 3, then it was a large indeterminate number, then I WD-40'd the mechanism, and now it's 1. I always wondered, what in the mechanism was counting to 3? I mean, 1 is simple, push it in and the coins drop. 2 is trivial -- first attempt aligns coins, then on the second, in they go. But 3? How did that work?
Things that I don't count:
- I have no idea how many times I have to pump to get my tires up to 80psi.
- Calories, points or carbs.
- I try to remember to count my blessings, but sometimes I forget.
Posted by Bruce Bortin at 10:32 AM
Monday, May 05, 2014
My Blog List
Where Does Technology Belong and Where Does It Not? - Katya and dog, outdoors, playing. Recently I began nannying for an eight-year old girl named Katya. She and I spend HOURS playing “make believe”, dinners...3 years ago
- ► 2016 (13)
- ► 2015 (48)
- ▼ May (7)
- ► 2013 (215)
- ► 2012 (204)
- ► 2011 (264)
- ► 2010 (365)
- ► 2009 (554)
- ► 2008 (695)
- ► 2007 (534)
- ► 2006 (289)
- ► 2005 (418)